Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Well, civil war this, civil war that.

I have to comment on yet another erudite remark from the person occupying the White House, among other parts of the planet.

Does anyone else remember when Ronald Reagan was president? This was the origin of bottom-of-the-well expectations for the leader of the free world. One of the leading news anchors, Tom Brokaw or Peter Jennings or someone, went to a small town in the South. He interviewed a group of good old boys - they were senior citizens, I'm sure - about their opinion of the president. He met with this group a few times over a couple of years. These guys were the salt of the earth type people and I don't think any of them had a college education. I believe they were mostly Republicans. And I'll never forget the answer one of them gave to the news anchor in response to a question. He said, "Well, no one ever said that this president represents the intelligensia of our nation."

I can't help but wonder what he would say now. Take a look at today's quote at crooksandliars.com. Note John Amato's entry of 11:25 AM - PDT. Well, civil war this, civil war that. I just don't know - 30,000 dead Iraqis and growing at 100 per day. "Well, no one ever said this president represents compassionate conservatism" ??

No comments: