Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fear is the Goal

Reports that the British police have thwarted a terrorist plot in the UK are very encouraging. Hooray the bad guys were foiled again. Seriously wonderful news.

For some reason, I'm shaking my head. I think it's the pictures of Heathrow airport and this morning's announcement by Secretary Chertoff causing it. No bomb went off; everyone is safer this morning than yesterday. So we are at red or orange alert status. Thousands of people are affected by new search regulations. And they will continue to be delayed...indefinitely by these new regulations? Travel, commerce, business will all be slowed down - by fear.

I think my chances of being blown up on a plane are really small, and thanks to Scotland Yard, just got even smaller. My fear is less but my wait will be longer.

What if the next bomb plot shapes the explosive to look like a T shirt or jeans? It might be kind of fun to have all planes be nudist colonies, I guess. But then I wouldn't eat any in flight snacks, to be sure I didn't get crumbs in my lap.

No comments: